A couple days ago, we celebrated a very special someone’s 17th birthday. Any guesses?
Prerana Sharma, our team’s short cutie-patootie celebrated her last restriction filled teen year on 3rd of this month. A month ago, she gave me a super tall cake order for her birthday.
- Two tiered chocolate cake
- Marshmallow and Almonds in between layers
- Nutella Frosting
- More almonds sprinkled on top
A very tall order indeed! With a little cajoling she agreed for something a little less grand.
Neeti and I immediately took off to my house before her birthday to whip up a special cake for our friend. From scratch, Neeti mixed and whipped up everything herself. As a proud teacher, I can count on Neeti to bake her own cakes from today :’)
From the depths of the oven, a beautiful, dark, chocolate cake arose. Once it was out, I was beyond disappointed! It looked uncooked and squishy. In it went for a couple more minutes, and yet that made no difference whatsoever!
With a little brainstorming and experimenting, I realized that this cake was in fact perfect!
The fudgy layer was at the bottom and the top was spongy and incredible. We simply flipped the cake over and named it a two layered chocolate fudge cake 🙂
Next came the frosting. It was just my luck that I thought I ran out of cream and nutella. I thought I’ll stick to a chocolate buttercream frosting and started whipping the butter. On scavenging the fridge again, I saw a small carton of cream! Hallelujah!
So with a last minute grace, I whipped up a whipped cream subtle chocolate frosting and piled that over the cake and sprinkled chopped almonds and pistachios. With all that hard work, I called it a day and went to bed.
The next day, I presented the cake to Prerana with jittery hands and SHE SQUEALED LIKE I BOUGHT HER A PUPPY!!!!!!
Tag us @4urbanroses on Instagram if you try making this 🙂
Chocolate Fudge Cake with Chocolate Whipped Cream and Almonds
Makes one 8″ square pan
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (can use 1/4 cup yogurt with 1/4 cup water)
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup freshly brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Sift flour, sugar, coca, soda, baking powder and salt into a bowl and mix until combined.
- Combine buttermilk, oil, eggs and vanilla in another bowl. Add this to the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Keep stirring as you add the coffee until just combined. Do NOT over-mix.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease an 8″ square pan and pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes and let it cool completely before taking it out of the pan.
- While it cools, make the frosting.
Chocolate Whipped Cream
Makes 1 1/2 cup
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 1 cup fresh cream
- 5 tbsp chocolate syrup
- Chopped almonds
Whip the cream with an electric beater until soft peaks form. Add the chocolate syrup and whip until it combines well. Add more if necessary. Smooth it onto the cake, use a sieve and sprinkle cocoa powder or drinking chocolate on top and garnish with almonds.
What is your dream cake combination? Let us know in the comments below!